Reading is About to Get Lit

Reading is no longer just about opening up a book and skimming through a page full of words to find the symbolism and theme of the story. Project Lit is a literacy movement committed to increasing access to culturally sustaining books and promoting not only the love of books but connecting with the school and community through reading. 

Project Lit “ EMPOWERS students as readers, writers, and leaders, PROMOTES a love of reading,  CELEBRATES books that affirm and value students, AMPLIFIES voices and stories of students and educators who are discriminated, and CHAMPIONS young adults who reflect their lived realities, communities, and identities.”  The club focuses on a select array of books that address many of the social injustice issues people around the world are still facing to this day. For instance, students who are a part of the club may read Shout by Laurie Halse Anderson, who also wrote the book, Speak

Because of social studies teacher Mr. Glen Cleveland and librarian Mrs. Lauren Nash, Project Lit is now at HH. Mr. Cleveland said, “I got the idea for this club from my brother who lives in Maryland, and he has this chapter at his school, and he was telling me about it, so I reached out to Mrs.Nash over the summer and asked her if she wanted to start this with me at HH.”

The best part of the club is students who may not read often can still join since there are no book prerequisites or requirements to purchase books beforehand. Students with a love for books are encouraged to join as well. Project Lit allows students the time and motivation to read as it is for a good cause, with the added bonus of meeting authors. 

What makes Project Lit unique is that it is not just a book club but rather a group of activists who are willing to speak out and share their voices with the community. Project Lit also fundraises for non-profit organizations that may raise awareness about some of the topics that are addressed in the books they read. Project Lit purposefully focuses on books which allow students to see the world through a different perspective.

Mrs. Nash said, “I want [Project Lit] to make a lasting impression, and I want it to help kids express their feelings, and I want them to be able to talk comfortably not just with their peers at school but their community as well and in high school especially there are just so many students out there who are such strong leaders and giving them the opportunity to use their voices through programs like Project Lit is just amazing.” 

Especially as our culture diversifies certain social barriers are more prominent. Mr. Cleveland said, “I don’t know the experiences and adversities that everybody within the building faces and I want to have authentic conversations with them because I don’t want someone else judging me based on just what I look like because there is a lot more underneath the surface.” 

Project Lit focuses on books that cover relevant topics in today’s modern society, such as discrimination, coming of age, the #MeToo movement, and the LGBTQ community. Mrs. Nash said, “Project Lit really helps bring the 21st  century to the forefront.”