Arts Gallery Just for the Hatters

On Feb. 7, during all HATS periods, students and staff were able to visit the art gallery hosted by the Art, Technology and Family and Consumer Sciences Department.

The art gallery is for students to see and experience the courses that are offered, including sewing, baking, digital photography, drawing, and even more options coming in the future. No matter what kind of student, there is something for everyone.

Mr. Killion said, “Getting to see kids we don’t typically see and letting kids see what classes are typically offered,” is something he always enjoys.

Aside from learning about the courses offered, there was an assortment of snacks, pottery, and wood at different stations to represent items that could be made in different classes, such as cooking, sewing, drawing. 

Math teacher and HH newcomer Mr. Cummings said, “It was an awesome experience. There is a wide range of options that students have in terms of pursuing interests in the arts.”

Freshman Curtis Gipson said, “It was very interesting and unique. There were a bunch of different kinds of activities that looked fun. And you wouldn’t think it would be art, but if you go in more depth, you would know it is art.”

Descriptions provided by Industrial Arts Teacher Mr. Killion

– Technical Drawing: In this class students learn the basics of engineering/architectural drawing. This class starts out with hand drawing on the drafting boards and then moves into AutoCAD doing mechanical drawings on the computer. Students create drawings of real life objects from the top, side and front.

– Architectural Drawing: This class focuses on creating plans for houses. Students design their own custom homes and then create the various plans needed for the house. These include the floor plans, elevations (how the house looks from the outside), roof plans, foundation or basement plans and wall sections. Students then take these plans and create a 3D model in the computer of their house design.

– Architectural Design II: This class focuses on green/sustainable design in relation to the architecture field. Students learn about passive and active design strategies to design an energy efficient building. Students model their design as a 3D model in the computer using Revit. From here students create a scale model of their design using a laser cutter and CNC machine.

– Engineering Drawing and Design: In this class students solve open ended problems using 3D modeling/design software. Students then create the drawings which would be required to build their item in real life. Projects often change from year to year but have included designing a vehicle (helicopter, car, boat), creating a school betterment design, creating a Lego toy, making a survival tool, a desktop toy and many more. Students use the CNC, laser, and 3D printers to build the items that we are able to.

– Digital Media: This is a digital photography and video course. We separate ourselves by using DSLR cameras with various lenses and Adobe Lightroom for editing the RAW photos. The digital video units show students how to properly record high definition video with the DSLR’s, stabilization, etc along with editing in Adobe Premiere. This class will turn you into a professional photographer/videographer! 

– Manufacturing and Engineering: This is a Manufacturing course that usually focuses on woodworking. Projects include custom skateboards, wooden Bluetooth speakers, various furniture pieces like Adirondack chairs and a Toys for Tots project to create and donate toys. We use a new CNC machine and laser cutter to further enhance and customize the projects.

– Intro to Industrial Tech: This is a 9th grade course that helps expose the students to all of the various courses we teach. This past year we made the table top arcade games that you see currently in the gallery. The students use AutoCAD to draw up the plans for the cabinets, then CNC machined them out on the new CNC machine. We then programmed the raspberry pi’s to run the software. In years past we have made CO2 cars that were designed in AutoCAD then cutout in the Manufacturing lab.

– Family Consumer Science -page 56 on course selection guide

Best of Baking: This course will provide students with a background in kitchen safety and the principles of basic baking skills, including measuring techniques and common kitchen practices. Students will study and prepare quick breads, pastry, cakes and cookies and healthy alternatives. Students will learn through written assignments, teacher demonstrations and projects, as well as participation in the culinary lab. A performance project will be required.

– Sewing: This course is designed to introduce students to textiles and basic sewing skills. Students will learn about different fabrics, and use a variety of construction techniques including hand and machine sewing. Students will have the opportunity to experiment with different types of sewing equipment. Students will complete several sewing projects, such as a pillowcase, gym bag, boxer shorts and slippers. Students may need to supply a portion of their own supplies and materials. Cost will be kept to a minimum.