The Student News Site of Hatboro-Horsham High School

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

The Road to Cheerleading Nationals

The Hatters cheerleading team attended Universal Cheerleaders Association Nationals High School Cheerleading Competition in Disney on Feb. 9-12, but before they left for Florida, they hosted one last competition for other teams in the area. 

On Feb. 3,  the Hatters held their second annual ‘Hatters Cheer Challenge’ at Hatboro-Horsham High school. Although the Hatters didn’t actually compete in their own competition they had a showcase in the beginning, with many surrounding schools joining to compete.

Senior Captain Sammy Chiesa said, “Last year’s [cheer challenge] went pretty successfully and we had this years, it was pretty fun because the gym was redone and it was nice to see it filled up with all the teams and parents.”

Junior Cheerleader Neva Fullmer stated, “It raises money for us and stuff we need for Nationals… I think it went pretty well because it’s only our second year hosting a competition.”

A big benefit about the Hatters Cheer Challenge is that it was an opportunity for surrounding teams to have one last time to compete and prepare before they go on the big stage at Nationals.

When asked if they thought it helped other teams prepare, Fullmer said, “Yeah, it definitely did because for a lot of the teams it was their last time competing before Nationals.”

Chiesa agreed, “Yeah especially the timing… a lot of teams were trying to get one last performance in before they left [for Florida] so it was great because they had an opportunity to go out and perform before they left.”

This is both Fullmer’s and Chiesa’s second time attending High School Nationals, and both showed their excitement.

Fullmer stated, “The High School I think went for the first time since 2016 last year so it’s only my second time, I feel good, I think we’re going to do a lot better this year hopefully we’ll make it to finals.”

Chiesa said, “I’m very excited because as a senior this is my last High School Nationals so it’s bittersweet, I feel confident, I know we can pull through and make it through so I just hope everyone puts their best out this weekend.”

The team ended up falling short of a big win but they still were able to put on a great performance for everyone.

It is still a great accomplishment that they were able to perform at Nationals despite the challenges they faced. Hopefully we will be able to see them back and better on the big stage next year!