The Student News Site of Hatboro-Horsham High School

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

The Radium Girls Review

Every fall the high school puts on a show. This year was Radium Girls, written by DW Gregory. The show is about girls in the 1920s who wanted safer working conditions because they were dying due to the radioactive paint the factory owners were using to paint glow-in-the-dark clocks.

I thought the show was good. The actors did a really great job and made me believe that they were really poisoned with radium. Even the costumes seemed very historically accurate. In the first few scenes they had on their uniforms, and it really gave off the feel that they were in a factory.

Besides acting, there is costumes, hair and makeup, set design and set building that go into making a great show.

Charlotte Chapman

Jocelyn Kozen, who played Grace, said, “It has always been a fun experience and the cast makes it fun. It’s always been rewarding in the end.”

Something I would have changed though was a little more detailed backdrop.

Mrs. Amanda Piergallini, the Assistant Director and Production manager, said “the set design was supposed to be minimalistic, but also interchangeably easy.”

Former stage crew members Leah Hoffman and Lilee Ziegler both enjoyed the show. Leah said, “Jocelyn’s emotions were so amazing. She really conveyed the character. All the actors did, they really did a good job.”

Lilee said, “The play was good. Everyone portrayed their characters well. The sound, lighting, flys and props all seemed like they all came in on time.

Charlotte Chapman

Stage crew is a group of students who like to build and paint and love theater. Stage manager Rylei Gorman said, “I joined stage crew because I was interested in it, but my favorite part is building with my friends.”

Junior Leilani Santiago, a stage crew member, said “I think the most important part of a stage crew is the friends you make and the things you learn, because most people who join stage crew don’t know how to use tools like drills and saws.”

Mrs. Piergallini also thought an important part of the show she thinks people may not know about is run crew. “The job of run crew, which is a part of stage crew is to change the scene quickly and quietly without being seen. So they really don’t get a chance to rehearse that until about a week before.”

View Comments (1)