Boys Golf Season Recap

(Left to right): Sophomore Nick Wagner, freshman Brenton Glah, junior Ethan Cho, sophomore Dylan Henry, senior Justin Chong, senior Ryan Mittman and sophomore Ryan Park.

The boys Hatters golf team had another winning season.

With a 5-4 overall record, the team managed to pull through against the tough matchups with other schools. On the varsity team, senior Justin Chong, junior Ethan Cho, sophomore Dylan Henry, freshman Brenton Glah, sophomore Ryan Park, senior Ryan Mittman, junior Jason Atcovitz and junior Danny O’Donnell all worked together to keep the team up and running. A huge part in a winning season goes to Coach Mike Harmon for leading the team and keeping morale up in the tough situations. 

Although the start of the season was rough with a 1-2 record, the team bounced back to 3-2 after beating Wissahickon and Abington. The boys continued to go on their winning streak, defeating Plymouth Whitemarsh and Abington again. However, the streak was broken after a hard loss against Quakertown.

One of the leading players on the squad, Dylan Henry, had an interesting start to the season. After shooting 44 and 45, he came back on track shooting  37 twice. 

Dylan said, “I played pretty well this season. Had a couple of bad matches, but other than that, I played well.”

He mentioned the “exceptional team chemistry within.”

He said, “I look forward to next year. We have a lot of young players, but we worked well together as we played against older players.”

Multiple players also qualified for Suburban One League (SOLs): Ethan, Justin, Dylan, Brent and Ryan all qualified. However, four out of five did not make the cut. 

Justin was the exception. He played well in leagues and qualified for districts. He shot a 77 at Five Ponds to enter the cut. Going off his momentum, Justin would qualify for Day 1 at leagues, shooting a 76. On Day 2, Justin shot a 75. Although these scores were exceptional, Chong did not qualify for Day 2 as the cut was six over. 

Even with a hard-fought loss, Justin said, “I played better than I thought I would during both leagues and districts. Even though I missed the cut for states by one, I had a fun time.”

Overall, the golf season was a rollercoaster of wins and losses for the boys. As a young and growing team, the players learned the importance of teamwork and stepping up for each other. 

As Justin said, “This golf season was a good one. We took some great wins, but took some hard losses. We pushed through nonetheless.”