The Student News Site of Hatboro-Horsham High School

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

Advisory Popcorn!

Charlotte Chapman
Students gather in the library and enjoy some free popcorn while watching Phillies highlights.

On Friday, April 5, the advisory board hosted a popcorn related “Fast Friday Series”. You could get free popcorn and enjoy clips of some of the most memorable plays in Phillies history.

Senior Haley Wallach is part of the advisory board, which is a student group that plans events for other students. The board promotes different spirit days and conducts merchandise sales. She said, “I chose to do advisory board because it’s a great way to get involved in fun school activities; they are all so fun. Plus, I get to hang out with all my friends while we plan things so I know I can trust them to organize something really well. We plan events we want to attend; we definitely take it from a student’s perspective so we can get people involved.”

Senior Haley Wallach said how a lot of people came this event in particular, talked with friends and — of course — ate some popcorn. She said, “I liked rewatching parts of the World Series games from a couple years ago because it was a great time to be living in an area where so many people are Phillies fans.”

Sophomore Lily Avani went with her friends and said, “We wanted to come for some popcorn and to support the school. I really liked how they were playing the Phillies.” Senior AJ Holster added, “I liked seeing the Phillies; it’s fun to sit down, chill and relax with friends while watching the clips. There’s not really any other time you could go and watch these during school, and it’s a fun lunch and learn activity.”

Advisory board advert for the event

Advisory usually holds events on the first of every month, with January being a pretzel dip party and November being a hot chocolate bar. They picked a Phillies-themed event this month because it was the week of MLB’s opening day.  The only thing students needed to have was their activity cards. These are sold during the first few weeks of school and give students access to school events at a discount.

Administrative Assistant to eleventh grade House Principal Angela Whelan, Mrs. Remaily is responsible for sales and records of activity cards for eleventh grade. She said that purchasing the activity card gives you a few perks, such as, “…discounts on Prom tickets, Wing Bowl, and the Homecoming Dance and much more. All home sporting events you get in for free when you show your purchase. The card is now on your phone when you purchase online.” With an activity you get not only get access to certain events at a discount, but you also get special events just for card holders, like the popcorn event.

Look out for the advisory board’s next event!