The Student News Site of Hatboro-Horsham High School

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

Voices from Red and Black

Jack Verdeur
Red and Black, 2023

Red and Black has been a tradition for the students at Hatboro-Horsham for as long as students and faculty can remember. With the highly anticipated events coming up soon, let’s look at what Red and Black means to the Hatboro-Horsham community.

Red and Black is divided into two teams, each led by two generals. For the 2024 season, Black Team is led by Kali Fulmer and Sarah Boland. Black Team will be led by Alyssa Tooley and Stephen Plefka.

Each year, both teams compete for the chance to win the Red and Black trophy. Competitions include Glee, Dance Team, Rock Climbing, Mario Kart, and more. Events take place either throughout the school day or on one of the two highly coveted nights: Gym Night and Pool Night.

Taking such a role in an event like Red and Black is no easy task. Leading half your school to victory takes lots of leadership skills. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes for the Generals. Stephen Plefka, the Red Team General, said, “I have to play to my appointed Captain’s strengths and be extremely inclusive. Just like in a classroom environment, people are good at applying different skills in many different ways.”

It’s not just the captains getting involved, though. Kali Fulmer, one of the Black Team Generals, says, “Red and Black allows people to participate in activities in front of people while showing off their skills, and also doing so in front of many people! Red and Black will give you memories to remember for years to come, and you will be doing something you never forget to do.”

Sophomore Marie Michalowski said, “Since joining HH, the Red and Black event was something to look forward to. As a freshman, Red and Black helped me make friends and feel connected to the school.”

Junior Jack Donnelly said, “My favorite part about Red and black is competing with other students. It is sad when you don’t win but the memories made along the way are definitely worth it.”

Aside from the impact on individual students. Red and Black creates a larger sense of community at Hatboro-Horsham. Stephen Plefka said, “In my opinion, any issues anyone might argue about our schools subsides for that week, as we all unite to have fun and work together/compete with or against each other and enjoy our school environment and community.”