The Student News Site of Hatboro-Horsham High School

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

Snacks with Santa

Every day, around 600,000 calls are made to EMS services, but aside form the flashing lights and loud sirens, many people don’t know much about what first responders do. Horsham 15 set out to change that this year.

Each year, Horsham Fire Fighter’s Auxiliary plans and hosts “Snack with Santa.” In the past, the event was held for the children of members to show them a little more about their parent’s occupation. Holly, the Director of Auxiliary, decided to open it up to the public for the first time this year.

Holly said, “I felt like we needed to incorporate the community and their children… It allows the community to come into the firehouse and see what the fire company does. They get to meet the firefighter, see the trucks, and learn more about what we do here on a daily basis while also having fun with Santa.”

Opening the event up to the public wasn’t easy though. Holly said it took three months of planning to put everything together: “We had to plan all the arts and crafts, all the snacks, coordinate the volunteers, the girl scouts, auxiliary members, reach out to the community, get the interest. We reached out to the fire police to help cross people safely and get the trucks ready to show the community.”

All this hard work paid off though, as around 100 kids showed up to “Snacks with Santa” throughout the day. Not only did they have a fun time, but Holly also believes that introducing kids to EMS services is important and helps the community: “It puts a face to the name. If there’s a fire at their house, and they see the firefighters, they’re not as scared. They’ve seen them before.”

Horsham 15 also has other initiatives to help calm people during a fire. Brian Folk placed “Autism Bags” in all the fire trucks, ambulances, and police cars containing things like headphones and coloring books to calm kids with Autism during an emergency. Events like Horsham Day and National Night Out also give kids an opportunity to meet firefighters. Holly said, “It gets kids involved and thinking we’re more than just a crazy truck.”

Horsham Fire company is working harder than ever to make the Horsham Fire Company a friendly face around town.