The Student News Site of Hatboro-Horsham High School

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

Welcome to 9th Grade at HH!

Coming to high school can be a big change for an incoming freshman. Now it is the end of quarter one, and freshmen have been in high school for about two months. When you’re coming into high school you get many things thrown at you. For example, grades get much more important. There is more lunch time, more advanced classes, and sports schedules. High school sports and activities can be more time consuming but there are more opportunities.

Most freshmen seem to like the high school lunch better. Annabelle Deacon and Annabelle Trevante said they both definitely like the hour for lunch and that they can do whatever they want for lunch.

It seems that from going to sitting in the lunchroom at KV to having the freedom to walk around freely and work on your own time is better. Many students agreed this was the best part of high school. Freshman Cadence Goodmen said, “I like high school better because I can get help from my teachers for a longer time at lunch. Whereas in middle school I had like ten minutes of help. I also like the schedule better.”

It’s possible that the freedom of lunch and learn could help improve students’ grades as well. Freshman Joclyn Himes said she has more time to go to teachers for help, and even just a break during lunch has helped her grades. “It definitely has improved my grades, I feel it helps being able to go to teachers to learn,” she said.

Freshman English teacher Mr. Sean DeLuca, said he thought some freshmen have a hard time transitioning. He said, “I believe some do–some throw themselves into it, and some don’t. I think the most important thing is to get involved in some club or something.”

Freshmen Tonya Mohapatra’s joined the cross-country team: “My favorite club/activity so far is cross country, it’s really fun.”

There is also the club and activities fair, a time for freshmen and all other grade levels to learn about joining clubs and activities. Freshman Yamilet Aguilar-Rodriguez said, “I joined French  Club. There has been one meeting so far and I had a lot of fun.” Freshman James Laurence said, “I’m in the process of starting my own club and I am doing it with my friend.”

Link Crew, a student-run program that helps freshmen transition, also gives freshmen an opportunity to be involved and have people to look up to.

Link Crew leaders are in 11th and 12th grade and the teacher leaders are Mrs. Karen Cassidy and Mr. Jim Sheilds. Mrs. Cassidy says “I think Link Crew not only helps students, but also helps our leaders. They get to take a leadership role and get the confidence to facilitate different events for the freshmen.” She said she hopes freshmen can feel more connected and confident in school because of Link Crew.

Link Crew leader Izzy Hamme (11) said “I joined Link Crew to help the freshmen feel welcome and engage more with my school. I hope freshmen feel comfortable in their new school.”

Link Crew leader Jackson Birster (12) was online during his freshmen year and he said “My freshman year was online at first but my Link Crew leaders still were very involved and made me feel comfortable able heading to the high school when we were back in school. They constantly knew what we were doing. This made me want to try to pay it forward so others could have a good freshman year and feel included.”

Freshman Kylie Brennon appreciates the things Link Crew has done to help involve the students. “I really liked the Gold Out.” The Gold Out was a football game that had a tailgate before that was for freshmen only. Students got a chance to pie teachers in the face, play games and win cool prizes. Then after the tailgate freshmen got into the football to support the team.

Overall freshmen say they like high school better. But Kiera Kaufmann said she knows that in high school accountability goes up as well. “I don’t know, in middle school it was easier because we were less independent. We do have a lot of freedom, but in high school we get freedom and responsibility.”