The Student News Site of Hatboro-Horsham High School

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

The Hat Chat

Link Crew Welcomes Freshmen with Engaging Activities

A unique, fun and relaxing morning was in place for freshmen on Wednesday, Oct.18. While grades 10 and11 took the PSATs, and seniors had a post-secondary exploration day, freshmen had a morning planned by the Link Crew.

Students may have been dismissed at 11:00 a.m., but they still had enough time to have a productive day. Rather than students doing classwork, Link Crew engaged freshmen in activities to build a better class dynamic between the students in their first year.

Freshmen were greeted with a series of events, including a dance battle, cornhole tournament, and more. Students who took part were awarded prizes, while spectators got a good laugh and time with their peers.

Similar to the first freshman day of the school year, students gathered in the cafeteria the morning. They were assigned to a group and rotated through stations at different points of the school with Link Crew Leaders and teachers.

One of the stations offered was small activities in select classrooms. Link leaders bonded with the student groups by playing rounds of Family Feud. Students chose a team name and competed in a friendly game with their fellow classmates.

The largest station was the games in the cafeteria. Freshmen had the choice of playing bingo, board games, cornhole, Mario Kart, and more. Link Crew leaders offered the prizes of gift cards and T-Shirts to those who won bingo. Freshman Briana Soto said, “Honestly that was my favorite station. I really enjoyed playing bingo with my friends.”

In the auditorium, instructors talked about the importance of taking care of yourself and your own mental health. Students were able to open up about their struggles and goals in life, and stress balls were handed out to them in return.

Finally, students headed to the gym where there was again a series of options so freshmen could pick what they enjoy doing the most. These options included trivia, dodgeball, frisbee and basketball.

Freshman Cecelia Zschunke said, “I really like all the different options of activities during different stations.” She chose the trivia option while in the gym and believed that “it was very fun.”

This group of leaders is always finding a way to connect grade levels and make everyone feel welcome. The day before the first day of school acted as a fun introduction day for the freshmen as they were joined by Link Crew Leaders.

And, on Sept. 29, freshmen participated in the freshman-only tailgate hosted by Link Crew for the Gold Out football game. Prizes, games, food, and fun were involved before the freshmen headed down to the stadium, joining the other Hatters in supporting the team.