Get to Know Your Red and Black Generals!

Current senior and general Lydia Nolan cheering for Red victory at previous Red and Black.

Senior Lydia Nolan is a general for this year’s Red Team. She is very excited for this year’s Red and Black and competition and is working hard to make sure it is a fun night for everyone. 

Q: What are your goals/hopes for this year? 

A: My goal is to increase participation. Red and Black usually has high participation but last year, with the modified Red and Black schedule, participation was at its lowest, and we need to work hard to change it this year. 

Q: What are you looking forward to most this year?

A: I am looking forward to sharing that energy with all of the classes because this year, there have been limited opportunities for getting everyone together. We really need more events like that. Gym night, the pep rally and the competition are all great bonding opportunities. That is what I really enjoy.  

Q: How will this year be different? 

A: Last year we were outside, but typically we are in the gym and we will be doing that again this year. No spectators are allowed, though, except for those with Red and Black T-shirts. Masks are also required, but we are still doing all the typical events. 

Q: Favorite event? 

A: Speed pyramid is my favorite because we only get a week to practice. It is a group event and I do it every year.

Q: What inspired you to be a Red/Black general?

A: For the last three years, I was a captain and I met a lot of different people. I knew that by being a general I could meet so many more people. 

Senior Alice Hall is a general for this year’s Black team. She is motivated to help continue the spirit of Red and Black and help win the Black team their victory this year.

Current senior and general Alice Hall at previous Red and Black.

A: My goal is to get as many underclassmen involved as possible because they have not experienced it before. My fear is that we might lose the spirit of Red and Black. I want it to go back to what it was two years ago. 

A: I am most looking forward to the heat of Red and Black, running around during HATS and making sure everyone is where they need to be. Seeing the number of captains growing is really great as well. 

Q: How will this year be different? COVID related or otherwise?

A: The added bonus to there not being spectators, though, is that for the first time all the spectators can face the Black team. Usually, only one team faces each direction. And then another difference is the Black team will be winning this year. 

Q: Favorite event?

A: Dance team…fantastic. BDT practices from 4 a.m to past 8. Seeing them perform at Red and Black is really so cool. Ski race, too, because it is so funny with everyone chanting “right, left.” I am not in it this year, which stinks, but I am always encouraging people to join. 

A: Watching since middle school and seeing how fun it was. I really wanted to be a part of it as much as I could. Even watching all the generals and seeing how much work they put in really inspired me. 

Senior Sophia Liott is a general for this year’s Red team, following the footsteps of her graduated sister, Gabrielle Liott. Sophia has grown up watching Red and Black events and now has the opportunity to lead her team this year, so she is looking forward to continuing the Red team’s winning streak.

Current senior and general Sophia Liott with graduated Cameron Ryan at previous Red and Black.

A: I hope to get as many people involved as possible, since we weren’t able to have a normal Red and Black last year. Many of the underclassmen don’t know what Red and Black is all about, so getting them involved and getting them to experience Red and Black is extremely important. Finally, my goal is obviously to win this year and give the Red team our third straight win!

A: This year I’m most looking forward to having a more normal Red and Black week, where we are able to have the pep rally and most importantly, gym night in the gym this year with as many students as possible because we weren’t able to do that last year because of COVID restrictions. The energy is just so much better in the gym and I can’t wait to experience that again.

Q: How will this year be different? 

A: This year is going to be a little different because you will need your T-shirt to attend gym night. We obviously are also going to need to wear masks at all events, and at gym night we aren’t allowed to have outside spectators.

Q: Favorite event?

A: My favorite event is really hard to choose; there are so many exciting events throughout the week, but if I had to choose one event, I would have to say Obstacle Course because it kickstarts gym night and the energy from the crowd is always unmatched. Everyone is super engaged and it’s always such a loud and intense event.

A: I was inspired to be a general because I had grown up knowing a bit aboutRed and Black, so my freshman year of high school I signed up and was chosen to be a captain. As a captain I got to learn all the inner workings of Red and Black, and got to see how involved I truly could be. I had so much fun my freshman through  junior years as a captain; I knew that I wanted to be general and be able to help run the entire thing. 

Senior Cole Fisher has spent a lot of time watching and being a part of Red and Black and is excited to take on a bigger role now by becoming a general for the Black team. He is most looking forward to having Red and Black back in the gym. 

Q: What are your goals/ hopes for this year? 

A: My goal or hopes for this year is to obviously win, but aside from that, I want to help get the energy of Red and Black back. Half of the school has not yet experienced it so I want to get as many of them involved. 

A: The fact that this is a normal year and we have all the events. Being back in the gym is the best. 

Q: How will this year be different? 

A: There won’t be parents there. But all the events are back, so it is more likely to get everyone involved and keep the energy alive. 

Q: Favorite event?

A: King of the Bubble and Obstacle Course are my favorite. 

A: As a captain, I talked with the prior generals all the time and they always talked about how great and fun of an experience it was, and I knew I wanted to do that as well.