Jewelry Businesses are a Girl’s Best Friend

“I use my jewelry as a way to speak about mental health and problems in our society which is a big part of my business. I started my business as a way to use my creativity to reach other people through my art,” says sophomore Mykayla Millar. 

Six students, Mykayla, junior Hannah Parker, sophomore Olivia Zollers, junior Rayna Varma, junior Emelia Cooperberg and senior Cassidy Weed, have started small business companies that sell jewelry and accessories.

Mykayla owns a small jewelry business called Beads by Mykayla. She makes rings and necklaces as a way to spread awareness about mental health struggles.

Hannah runs a business called Affinity Jewelry, which sells vintage style jewelry. She started it in May last year, during the pandemic. 

Olivia Zoller’s rings.

Olivia’s small business is called Relive Jewelry, and she sells handmade bracelets, necklaces and rings.

Rayna and Emelia started a business together, Sunny Scrunchie, in 2019. They sell scrunchies and have recently started to sell jewelry as well. 

Shop Phantom, run by Cassidy Weed, offers many accessories, earrings and necklaces being her specialties. 

All six students have opted to advertise their jewelry companies through various social media accounts, most commonly through Instagram and Pinterest.

Rayna, Emelia, Olivia and Hannah sell their jewelry on the craft website Etsy. Mykayla and Cassidy sell their products on Depop, a peer-to-peer social shopping app. 

Rayna and Emelia’s hair accessory.

In addition, Rayna and Emelia have recently started selling their scrunchies at a local shop called Serendipity in Chestnut Hill. They have also worked with social media influencers — people who have large followings on social media apps — to advertise their products.

COVID-19 has affected many businesses around the country, and these six students’ businesses have been no exception. The unique circumstances have presented a slew of challenges to these new small business owners. 

Rayna and Emelia had to stop selling their scrunchies in the first months of the pandemic since they were not able to safely meet together to make their scrunchies and jewelry. Until they reopened their business in June, they continued to market their products on social media. 

“This summer, we were planning on doing pop-up shops and farmers markets, but that did not work out because of COVID,” Rayna said. “Social media became our main source of marketing, and Instagram, Tik Tok, Facebook and newsletters helped us grow our following.”

Hannah Parker working on her jewelry.

For Hannah, shipping delays due to the pandemic have “complicated shipping order and ordering supplies.”

Cassidy takes extra precaution with packaging and cleansing her products before sending them out due to the pandemic, as does Olivia.

On the other hand, COVID made making and selling jewelry for Mykayla easier with all the free time she had from not working during the pandemic. 

“It’s such a fun thing to do in your free time. But as fun as it is it is a responsibility of mine. Making jewelry is a hobby and craft I absolutely love. My business is a great way to interact and sell to all different types of people though different social platforms,” said Cassidy.