Goodbye 2020, Hello 2021

New Years Resolutions.

THREE, TWO, ONE… HAPPY NEW YEAR!

In light of the new year and the end of 2020, many students celebrated this mark of a fresh start. A day that has been celebrated for millennia, it is normally a time when large groups of family and friends gather to commemorate and enjoy new beginnings. Due to COVID, this year’s Jan. 1 celebrations were much smaller. Despite some obvious changes to these times, some of the traditions have continued. Decorations were put up, at-home fireworks displayed and resolutions for the new year were made.

One student who faced a tweak in her traditions was sophomore Katie Harrington. Usually, most of her family gets together for the new year, but instead, they reached out to each other virtually. Aside from this, Katie and her family were able to continue other traditions. Katie said, “For the new year, we played some board games and watched ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’. We also play Just Dance and make dinner together as a family.”

Sreeprada’s New Year’s resolutions.

Sophomore Sreeprada Alladi was also on a similar page. She said, “For the new year, my family and I tend to stay up together until midnight to watch the ball drop in Times Square and play board games together. Normally, we would go to a temple in New Jersey, but we could not this year because of COVID restrictions.”

Another major aspect of the new year is coming up with resolutions. Whether they are kept or not, it is a good idea to set a few goals for yourself. Sophomore Maggie Tierney said, “My New Year’s resolutions are to work out every day, spend less time on my phone and hang out with my friends and family more.” She has also created a plan to help her follow through with her decisions. “I plan to carry them out by making a schedule and routine to keep myself on track,” she said.

Katie also came up with a list of resolutions. She said, “I am working to progress at least three belts in karate in 2021. I am also hoping to get into Madrigals or stay in the Women’s Ensemble. I am also simply trying to better myself as a person.” 

Sophomore Danielle Nugent based her resolutions around environmental improvements. Danielle said, “Part of my New Year’s resolution is to not eat any pork or beef. I plan to carry this resolution out by not buying any of these products and by reminding myself of the environmental impact I can help to reduce.”

Many of this year’s resolutions also relate to COVID-19. Usually, with the new year comes the start of many clubs and activities for students, but because of COVID, the activities have not kicked up nearly as much as they have in prior years, leaving students feeling a little down.

Maggie’s New Year’s resolutions.

In the face of boredom and isolation, some have decided to do something to act and change their situation. Sophomore Zak Ibrahim said, “I’m trying to be more social to counter the isolation. That’s probably going to end up taking shape by getting a job and trying to take part in more group activities, but who knows?”

Mental health is very important to keep track of in these times, and Sreeprada sets her resolutions up to accommodate hers. She said, “My resolutions are to have a steady workout plan, spend less time on electronic devices and eat healthier, which all go hand-in-hand with my mental health. For exercising, I plan on setting aside time to do workouts, and also set up a reward system for motivation. I’m trying to get more involved with the community and do more to get away from school and electronics for a while. I’ll also try to eat less junk food.”

Did you make a New Year's Resolution this year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...