Remote Teaching

Mrs. Wright with her TEAMs meeting background effect.

Remote learning has had multiple challenges, especially for teachers. However, teachers have been trying their best to make the “classroom” a fun experience.

For example, English teacher Mrs. Jacqueline Hersker decided to do social-emotional check-ins to allow every student to engage in a conversation at least once in class. Each class there is a different check-in, ranging from quick one word answers to more in depth and thought out answers. Mrs. Hersker said, “[the check-ins] have been great opportunities for students to go on-camera and connect with their teacher and peers.”

She is also trying a new way to engage students in vocabulary. “This year I’m using the Ed Tech tools on Vocabulary.com to host competitive Vocab Jams,” she said.

Mrs. Hersker using VocabJam in her English class.

Another way to engage the students has been using the chat to do a quick check-in. Like Mrs. Hersker, Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher Mrs. Anna Snow makes sure every student uses the chat or a morning check-in and during the lesson to make sure students are engaged. Senior Gaby Alezard said, “I think it’s a good way to check that students are engaged.” She also said that check-ins can benefit Mrs. Snow. “We also get to choose to represent how we are feeling that day, which gives her a better idea of  how to go about class.” 

Math teacher Mrs. Shayna Wright said, “I have been using different themed backgrounds in Teams to encourage students to get creative with their own.” This is a way to try and make the students feel more comfortable with showing their faces as well as becoming more creative. Mrs. Wright also uses Nearpod, which may have been previously used before, but is now being used by more teachers. This tool allows students to review a content with the whole class or watch a video and answer the assignment questions on their own.

Remote teaching is a difficult task, but teachers have been taking it head on and are trying to find new ways to engage students.